Website Bioinstrumentation and BioMEMS Laboratory (UC Davis)
We are seeking a highly motivated chemist to conduct research on metabolomics and contribute to portable chemical sensor design and development. Candidates must have in depth knowledge of mass spectrometry and chromatographic methods, ability to develop analysis protocols for a variety of sample matrices is a must. In depth knowledge of MS allied methodologies (especially ion mobility) is highly preferred. The ideal candidate is a skilled researcher with a proven track record of independently executing research projects. The candidate should possess a strong ability to independently lead a variety of projects, quickly learn a variety of experimental approaches and effectively execute experimental plans and analyze data. There will be opportunities to work on multiple projects across the biomedical and agriculture communities. This is a multi-year funded position, contingent upon strong performance in the first year of employment.
Objectives of the project(s) will include:
- Designing, planning and executing experiments to profile metabolomic content of complex samples using various mass spectrometry and chromatography techniques.
- Developing, optimizing and adapting protocols for optimum analysis of various samples using appropriate analytical methodologies.
- Participate in data analysis interpretation of MS data.
- Participate in development, testing and benchmarking of portable chemical sensor devices.
- Ph.D. in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Metabolomics or highly related science discipline(s)
- Hand-on experience of mass spectrometry analysis and methodology development
- Deep knowledge of instrumentation related to mass spectrometry, gas chromatography and liquid chromatography
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
Skill, knowledge, and ability to prepare written manuscripts on experimental and theoretical data analysis and experimental methods
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills to discuss, plan, and present results to a multi-disciplinary laboratory group, and to interact with personnel from different academic disciplines
- Strong leadership skills to guide research of graduate and undergraduate student lab members
The following are also recommended:
- Working knowledge of biochemistry
- Experience with MS allied techniques, in particular ion mobility methods
- Experience testing chemical sensor systems, or willingness to learn established protocols
- Experience in microfabrication cleanroom work, or willingness to learn established protocols
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to prioritize multiple tasks effectively
- Skill and ability to effectively teach general health and safety procedures to laboratory personnel
- Ability to effectively adapt to organizational change and contribute towards general laboratory research goals
Link to job posting: http://mae.engr.ucdavis.edu/faculty/davisc/position_MASSSPEC.html
Why Work at UC Davis?
UC Davis is a place with a purpose. Whether caring for human and animal health, addressing issues in the changing environment, cultivating and protecting food systems, or enriching lives through art and intellectual exploration, we are united in our understanding that cutting-edge innovation and open minds will increase the quality of life for all. When you join UC Davis, you grow and transform while helping to transform UC Davis. You are part of a unique, interdisciplinary community that embraces the challenge of addressing the greatest issues of our time while growing personally and professionally.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.
UC Davis is a smoke- and tobacco-free campus. Smoking, the use of smokeless tobacco products, and the use of unregulated nicotine products (e-cigarettes) is strictly prohibited on any UC Davis owned or leased property, indoors and outdoors, including parking lots and residential space.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com