Howard Hughes Medical Institute
We are seeking a Research Specialist with expertise in mass spectrometry to join the lab of Dr. Vamsi Mootha at Massachusetts General Hospital. The Mootha Lab combines genomics, systems biology, and human investigations to study metabolism utilizing a holistic approach. Our team is a mix of highly enthusiastic biochemists, physicians and bioinformaticians who are deeply passionate about the work and research of the lab. To learn more about the lab, visit their website.
This role will allow you to collaborate closely with group members to develop methods, run samples, and analyze data. The ideal candidate should have ample hands-on experience independently operating and maintaining LC-MS and GC-MS instrumentation with a proven track record of full scan analysis, targeted measurements, and quantitation in complex biological samples. The primary instruments in our lab are a Thermo Q-Exactive+ LC-MS and a Thermo Exactive GC-MS.
This is a rare opportunity to be a part of a dynamic and highly collaborative research team, with excellent benefits and the opportunity to be co-author on many exciting basic and translational papers.
In this role you will:
- Independently provide regular maintenance for our LC-MS and GC-MS.
- Interact with technical support for the devices to perform preventative maintenance and address any technical issues that arise.
- Interact closely with lab members to plan and perform experiments at every stage from sample collection and preparation to data collection and analysis.
- Efficiently organize lab use of LC-MS and GC-MS to optimize throughput of samples.
- Process LC-MS and GC-MS data and share results with relevant team members.
- Develop new LC-MS and GC-MS methods to detect and quantify metabolites, drugs, and related compounds.
- Contribute to preparation of manuscripts, grants and scientific presentations.
- Train lab members on aspects of our analytical pipeline (sample preparation, running the instruments, or data analysis).
- Participate in weekly laboratory meetings and planning sessions.
Skills and experience you bring:
- Graduate or industry training in analytical chemistry with strong practical and theoretical expertise in LC-MS and GC-MS including separations techniques.
- PhD or equivalent experience preferred
- Prior experience working with Thermo Q-Exactive+ LC-MS and a Thermo Exactive GC-MS a plus, but not required.
- Proven track record of LC-MS and GC-MS application to metabolomics and stable isotope tracer experiments.
- Proficiency with data acquisition and analysis software (such as TraceFinder, Compound Discoverer, XCalibur, Progenesis).
- Strong computational skills to independently analyze data with standard statistical tools and methods.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills to interact with colleagues and technical support.
- The ability to operate instrumentation with reliability and accuracy, with minimal supervision.
- Excellent organizational, communication and time management skills.
Remaining in a normal seated or standing position for extended periods of time; reaching and grasping by extending hand(s) or arm(s); dexterity to manipulate objects with fingers, for example using a keyboard; communication skills using the spoken word; ability to see and hear within normal parameters; ability to move about workspace. The position requires mobility, including the ability to move materials weighing up to several pounds (such as a laptop computer or tablet). Work may involve possible exposure to malodorous vapors, contamination by toxic chemicals and acids and presence of carcinogenic substances.
Persons with disabilities may be able to perform the essential duties of this position with reasonable accommodation. Requests for reasonable accommodation will be evaluated on an individual basis.
This job description sets forth the job’s principal duties, responsibilities, and requirements; it should not be construed as an exhaustive statement, however. Unless they begin with the word “may,” the Essential Duties and Responsibilities described above are “essential functions” of the job, as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Compensation and Benefits
Our employees are compensated from a total rewards perspective in many ways for their contributions to our mission, including competitive pay, exceptional health benefits, retirement plans, time off, and a range of recognition and wellness programs. Visit our Benefits at HHMI site to learn more.
HHMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer
To apply for this job please visit hhmi.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com.