The Product Manager is responsible for managing the product within the Product Lifecycle, including but not limited to customer and product requirements, writing the validation plan, defining the product vision and strategy, developing marketing tools, managing the product launch, and soliciting customer feedback for future product improvements.
The Product Manager will work closely with many organizational functions, including Business Development, Product Development and Commercial teams. The candidate will be responsible for developing the product strategy and roadmap, working with sales and marketing to refine positioning, and provide support to the commercial team to ensure revenue goals and customer satisfaction are achieved. The candidate must have the technical and applications depth of knowledge to be able to develop the core positioning and messaging for the product, provide competitive benchmarking analysis, develop marketing/sales tools and collateral, provide training to the sales force, and interact with customers to assess product performance. The position offers the candidate the opportunity to work with cross-functional teams both internally and with external partners. A reputation for integrity, urgency, and accountability with sound technical and interpersonal skills, highly motivated, independent with a strong operational focus is critical for success.
Areas of Responsibility:
(1) Product & Market Oversight – technical and analytical instrumentation, market analysis, diligence, competitive benchmarking, applications proof of concept-50%
(2) Experience planning and managing technical seminars, trainings, etc.-25%
(3) Customer interaction-25%
(1) Product & Market Oversight
Research and Analysis
- Technical background in the analytical instrumentation field, particularly mass spectrometry, within the life science market
- Research and analyze market conditions
- Identify key competitor and consumer trends
- Articulate market requirements and opportunities
- Identify opportunities for product innovation and product enhancements
- Work with research regarding product development
Product Planning and Management
- Determine customer requirements and product specifications
- Work closely with Product Development and engineering teams for product requirements and fixes that meet customer expectations.
- Run Beta programs with early-stage products to refine product functionality, performance, etc. against defined customer requirements.
- Define the long-term strategy of the product and create product road map
- Prepare product documents including product use cases to drive product activity
- Write the Validation Plan for product commercialization and test with external customers prior to launch
- Develop pricing strategies and product policies
- Oversee product development
- Manage and communicate with cross functional teams
- Develop product marketing plan and event campaigns to generate product awareness and demand. Must be able to identify and translate metrics to support ROI and success.
- Plan product launch
- Liaise with advertising and public relations to promote product
- Support sales and marketing with the necessary product knowledge and technical expertise
- Conduct product presentations
- Develop sales tools and sales training material
- Provide input for marketing collateral development
- Supply sales with latest research and marketing information
- Implement marketing plan in conjunction with all departments
- Drive ongoing improvement in sales and profitability
- Work with Applications Team to translate applications data to clear, concise, compelling external marketing content
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Demonstrate the ability to take broad messaging and translate to concise communication.
- Experience with design and power point generation beyond novice user. Experience with Microsoft Publisher or other publishing platforms is a plus.
- Responsible for managing and implementing product management and product marketing activities from product development through launch.
(2) MOBILion seminars and industry conference events
- Experience with planning and developing content for webinar series in conjunction with Business Development and Commercial Teams to support sales and customer awareness.
- Work with Commercial Teams to implement product marketing campaigns and manage key metrics to the ROI
(3) Customer Engagement
- Must be able to interact with customers throughout the product development process to ensure product design and performance meet customer expectations
- Manage product related support, feedback and inquiries from users; track customer feedback to provide input into future product improvements
- Support sales as field technical and subject matter expert
- Manage product-related support, feedback and inquiries from users
- Coordinate market research to track customer and end-user feedback
- Monitor product inventory
- Use market feedback to inform product refinements and ongoing development
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- 3+ years’ experience in analytical instrument product launch, product development, sales and/or marketing
- Working knowledge of life science applications and markets in mass spectrometry or separations technology
- Demonstrated experience developing technical product and applications end-use training content
- Proven track record of developing messaging, positioning and competitive benchmarking in the life science instrumentation market
- Good customer service and customer development skills
- Exemplary project management experience with demonstrated abilities to handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to work independently and collaborate with multifunctional teams (eg. marketing, product development, sales)
- Three years mentoring or training customers, sales associates or other cross-functional teams.
- Sales Force beyond cursory use – ability to generate forecast, reports, etc
- Excellent communication skills and ability to speak, present and write clearly and accurately, particularly as it relates to technical concepts
- A self-starter with strong operational focus and accountability
- Willingness to travel +30%
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in analytical chemistry, chemistry, physics, or engineering. An advanced degree in these or related disciplines is a plus
- Minimum of 5 years industry experience in a technical, sales or marketing role.
- Ability to work within the United States
- Product Development
- Business Development
- Applications Development
- Product Sales Specialist
- Service Engineers
- SLIM/MS End Users
- Scientific Community, Academic Researchers
- MS partner Product Managers and Sales Associates
Cultural, Behavioral and General Characteristics
- Independent and self-starter
- Work standards/high work ethic – initiative and drive
- Innovativeness & creativity
- Self-sufficient, self-driven, self-motivated (work with minimal supervision): figure it out
- Ability to quickly learn SLIM technology and apply it
- Ability to think through complex issues and solve problems
- Desire to share information and support a transparent culture
- Technical translation
If interested, please send a cover letter and current CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com