Plant-based cheese that stinks
We’re looking for a metabolomics chemist to help us create a more sustainable food system. You want to use your deep knowledge of mass spectrometry to discover new microbes that transform cheap ingredients into compelling fermented foods that outcompete animal-based alternatives on taste and cost. You love to generate and analyze analytical chemistry data, while also developing new methods for predicting flavor from chemical compositions. And most importantly, you share our values. This position is based in Oakland, CA and offers competitive salary and equity.
Our food system represents a whopping 34% of global carbon emissions and is the primary driver of species extinction and deforestation. Within food, the biggest single problem is cows. Cows outweigh humans 🤯 and account for over 10% of carbon emissions. Dairy alone produces more carbon than all of aviation.
But the problem is that cows and their milk taste really good, and no amount of guilt will ever stop us from devouring them. The only solution is to create sustainable products that are better than cows on two factors: taste and cost.
Tezza is a public benefit corporation that discovers and designs microbial communities that transform inexpensive, sustainable plants into new categories of fermented foods. This approach allows us to create plant-based products that are absurdly delicious and cheaper than their animal-based counterparts. We are starting with the most resource-intensive and addictive dairy product: 🧀.
About the position
You will be working with us to accelerate the discovery of cultured foods. Some of your responsibilities will include:
- Build and operate our in-house mass spectrometry core
- With our microbiology team, discover microbes that create incredible flavor profiles
- Process and analyze high-throughput samples for chemical analysis
- Curate analysis pipelines to identify and quantify key flavor compounds
- Build a company where mission and money meet
- This position is full time and not remote
- PhD or equivalent experience in chemistry or a related field
- 2+ years of additional experience operating mass spectrometry equipment
- Ability to set up a mass spectrometry system
- Deep knowledge of LC and GC mass spectrometry instrumentation and ways to manipulate those tools for different inputs and target molecules
- Ability to analyze and interpret mass spectrometry data into biochemical conclusions
- A keen interest in learning (or previous experience in) flavor chemistry and the prediction of flavor from chemical compositions
- Able to process samples and data independently, while designing experiments and interpreting data together with a team
- A deeply held conviction in our mission and values
What do you get out of it?
You’ll work on global sustainability problems via a hands-on, tasty product
You’ll get to wear many hats and learn what it takes to build an early-stage startup in sustainability and biotechnology
An opportunity to have a systemic impact on the food system
A chance to build the kind of place where you’d like to work
If interested, what should you do?
First, learn about our values, hiring process, and benefits here.
To apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with a resume and responses to the following prompts (a conversational, unpolished tone is fine):
What motivates you right now? What about for the long term? And most importantly, why?
What are the most important things that you are striving to improve in yourself? What are you doing to work on them?
Tezza is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. But we acknowledge that we are flawed humans within a flawed society. We do our best and apologize and learn when that’s not enough.
To apply for this job please visit www.tezzafoods.com.