University of Groningen
The Analytical Biochemistry (AB) group is looking for an experienced technician in the field of analytical chemistry and which is particularly acquainted with mass spectrometry (MS). The AB research group is part of the Groningen Research Institute of Pharmacy (GRIP) and is a dynamic, multidisciplinary group of researchers stemming from the fields of (computational) MS, proteomics and metabolomics. AB is housed in the ERIBA building at the UMCG campus and embeds the Interfaculty Mass Spectrometry Center (IMSC), which is a joint research facility of GRIP and UMCG. AB and IMSC share a well-equipped laboratory with 15 high-end mass spectrometers, primarily hyphenated with LC platforms. There is a well-equipped research infrastructure in place to perform MS-based proteomics and metabolomics, including sample preparation, handling and the analysis of MS data. AB participates in many interdisciplinary research projects, ranging from a fundamental towards a clinical perspective, with a specific focus on biomarker discovery and validation. The AB has workflows in place to enable the analysis of various omics fields such as proteomics, phosphoproteomics, lipidomics and metabolomics and investigating a wide variety of samples such as different types of cancer tissue, lung tissue, microbiological samples, blood and urine.
The technician will be employed at AB under supervision of Prof. Peter Horvatovich and will support the work of principal investigators (PI) Dr Guinevere Langeveen-Kammeijer performing research in glycoproteomics and single cell proteomics, and a new PI to be hired on the subject of mass spectrometry imaging (MSI). Furthermore, the technician will support research activities, infrastructure maintenance and contribute to method development at the IMSC directed by Dr Hjalmar Permentier.
• contribution to the development, implementation and validation of new sample preparation methods for single cell proteomics, glycoproteomics, phosphoproteomics and MSI
• performing LC-MS and MSI analyses as well as supporting the reporting of the results
• contributing to the training of Bachelor, Master and PhD students as well as postdoctoral researchers in MS analysis
• maintaining LC-MS and MSI instruments and solving technical problems
• contributing to the overall organization of the AB and IMSC laboratory infrastructure.
• a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in the area of analytical chemistry or a related field
• demonstrable experience with the operation and maintenance of LC-MS and/or MSI equipment and with LC-MS and/or MSI method development
• good command of oral and written English
• independent, flexible, enterprising, organized, solution-oriented
• affinity with both instrumental techniques and data analysis software
• capable of working in an interdisciplinary, academical, and international environment.
To apply for this job please visit www.academictransfer.com.